Over this past week, I had three friends solicit me for financial support to their favorite charity. This is called peer-to-peer fundraising and it can be incredibly effective in helping nonprofits raise more money and acquire new donors. Basically, existing donors reach out to their network of friends, family members and colleagues to raise money for the nonprofit typically through social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, other social media platforms, and email are the easiest way for your supporters to get their message out.
How to you incorporate matching gifts into this appeal?
- Educate your participants on the benefits of matching gifts. Include this information in the coaching emails to participants. If you subscribe to the HEPdata E-Match Donor Link, make sure you give this to your participants so they can promote it through social media and emails.
- Ask for the matching gift – include this information on your web site. Here is a great example that sends to their supporters. I have participated in Bike MS for the past three years and they do an excellent job of educating their donors on matching gifts.
- Offer an easy tool for donors to verify if their gift is match eligible – the HEPdata E-Match Donor Link allows donors to instantly verify if their gift is match eligible. Make sure this is on your on-line donation form.
- Ask at on-site registration for employment information and if their company offers matching gifts. You can include this information in your thank you note and ask the participant to secure that matching gift if applicable. Include the HEPdata E-Match Donor Link in the thank you letter.
- If your organization is hosting a run or walk in a city be sure to know what are the major companies in that area that offer matching gift programs. Approach these companies to see if they would like to create a team for your event. I’ve seen this time and time again in the runs and walks I’ve been involved with. This is an extremely effective way to incorporate matching gifts. The HEPdata GiftPlus Online® for your development office can help you determine which companies in your area offer matching gift programs..
- Have your donors add an eye-catching matching gift banner to their social media post or email.
If your non-profit is interested in learning more about our matching gift services, please visit hepdata.com, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.681.4438. We would be happy to help you analyze your current matching gift strategies. We also have an extensive collection of matching gift marketing strategies to review online in our Learning Center.